The moments after receiving a DWI charge can be confusing, upsetting and stressful, especially if its your first experience. But despite this difficult moment, there are immediate actions to take after a DWI charge than can drastically improve the outcome of the incident.
While many people resign themselves to believing that there is nothing they can do to fight the charge, but now is not the time to despair. Regardless of the circumstances of and possibly even a dismissal of charges, the moments following your arrest are a crucial time to take action to defend your well-being and do everything you can to protect against the potentially devastating impact of a DWI conviction.
- Write down absolutely everything As overwhelming as a DWI charge can be it is vitally important that you write down (or record on your smart phone) everything you can about the incident. Its often said that DWI cases are won or lost in the details, even the most seemingly trivial details can make a huge difference in the outcome of your case. Youd be surprised at what will slip your mind after just a few days or weeks, so write down as much as you can about the following:
- When and where were you when the arrest took place?
- What questions did the officer ask you?
- What were your responses to the officer?
- Was a breath test administered and if so how was it conducted?
- What did the breath test device look like?
- Were field sobriety tests administered?
- How were the tests conducted and what were the outcomes?
Its critically important to draft a complete version of what happened and share it only with your lawyer.
- Gather witnesses In Texas, the prosecution may have witnesses to develop their case against you, so its important that you do the same. If anyone was in your car, with you prior to the arrest, witnessed the event, or can provide character testimonies, ask them if they would be willing to help. Ask them to write down as many details about the arrest that they can remember as soon as possible.
- Contact an attorney DWI cases are difficult for the defendant, but they are not impossible to win. You will need an experienced Houston DWI lawyer who is sympathetic to your situation, has a track record of success, and can build a case for you that will stand up in court.
- Try not to stress out As difficult as facing a DWI charge can be, its important to avoid panicking or making rash, ill-advised decisions. Let your attorney develop a detailed plan and follow his or her lead. Trust that your lawyer knows the best procedures and tactics to follow to achieve the best results for your case.
- Learn from your situation Regardless of what happened or whether or not you were rightly or wrongly charged, its important to learn from your experience. One DWI conviction can have significant consequences, but receiving a second or third can have major consequences.
Have you been charged with a DWI in Texas? Reach out to Scheiner Law Group today to learn more about what steps you should take next.